Richard F. Vermeulen | Profile
Richard F. Vermeulen, CPA, CFE, CRFAC, CCA leads the Government Sector Advisory Services practice as a Partner of Yip Associates out of their New York and New Jersey offices. He has nearly 30 years of experience providing accounting and auditing services to a wide range of public and private clients. Specialties include forensic accounting, investigative auditing, integrity oversight monitoring, construction auditing, monitoring of government grant and financial assistance programs, litigation support, construction claims, fraud risk mitigation, internal controls, community benefit and outreach programs and regulatory and compliance services. Mr. Vermeulen has lectured on many topics related to forensic accounting, auditing, integrity monitoring and the development of corruption prevention programs. He is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), Certified Forensic Accountant (CFE) and Certified Construction Auditor (CCA).
Prior to joining Yip Associates in 2016, Mr. Vermeulen worked at CohnReznick and K2 Intelligence/Thacher Associates in New York City where he developed and led industry leading integrity monitoring and forensic accounting practices focusing primarily in the real estate and construction industries.
Mr. Vermeulen’s experience includes:
- Providing forensic accounting and consulting services to integrity monitoring firms, public agencies and private owners/developers on major capital construction projects.
- Performing risk assessments and developing corruption prevention programs to prevent fraud, waste and abuse on large capital construction projects or within federal or state funded programs.
- Conducting policies and procedures reviews, assessing internal controls and making recommendations to strengthen critical internal control processes.
- Monitoring compliance with prevailing wage laws, Disadvantaged, Women and Minority-Owned Business programs and other contractual or regulatory requirements.
- Monitoring federal and state funded grant and financial assistance programs.
- Providing litigation support related to construction disputes and surety claims
Mr. Vermeulen’s representative engagements include:
- Providing integrity monitoring and compliance services to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (“PANYNJ”) on the $2 Billion Newark Airport Terminal One Redevelopment Project as well as on the $4 Billion LaGuardia Airport Central Terminal Building and ancillary projects.
- Providing integrity and compliance monitoring services to the New York City Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) on the $11 Billion East Side Access and $2 Billion Long Island Railroad Third Track Expansion projects.
- Providing independent oversight monitoring services on contractors for the New York City Department of Investigation and Federal Highway Administration.
- Assessing internal controls and providing on-site monitoring services to the New York State Governor’s Office of Storm Recovery related to Community Development Block Grant Disaster Recovery (CDBG-DR) programs to ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state and local program requirements.
- Provided audit and compliance services to the MTA for their New York City Transit Hurricane Sandy grant programs.
- Provided integrity monitoring, compliance and litigation support services to the New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) and NYC Department of Investigation.
- Provided integrity monitoring services for the PANYNJ at the World Trade Center including the Transportation Hub, 9/11 Memorial and Museum and the Central Chiller Plant, projects with a combined contract value in excess of $6 Billion.